Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

I LOVE these! I found the recipe on allrecipes.com my junior year of undergrad and make them all the time (when I'm living on my own...)

1 onion, peeled and halved
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped**
2 Tbs minced garlic
5 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground cumin (optional)
9 cups water

-Put everything in the crock pot with the water last. Stir to combine.
-High for 8 hours. Add more water as it evaporates.
-Once cooked, strain beans and keep the liquid. Mash the beans. The recipe calls for a potato masher, but all I have is a mixer, which works fine with either the beaters or I have one of those fake immersion blender heads. Add water to make it the desired consistency. The onion gets mashed in with everything.

15 servings

I love this recipe because I can change the texture of the beans based on my mood ;). It makes a TON (or maybe it just seems like it because I'm by myself). The beans freeze really well. Last summer I had a continuous supply of enchiladas and beans for about 5 months. I only eat store bought beans in a pinch.

**Ashley likes the whole pepper, but I've never dared. I've made it with or without the pepper before. The cumin as well. Now I like it with the pepper, but for kids you could leave it out. Jalapenos freeze well too.

3 comments:

  1. I've made something very similar and they were great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an immersion blender for Christmas and I love using it for my refried beans. I like them smooth and not chunky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't bring myself to buy one for the once a year or less I'd use it :(

    ReplyDelete