Thursday, March 28, 2013

Breadsticks

These are the breadsticks that Mom made for us a lot growing up.  I love them because they don't require a 2 hour rise like a lot of breads. They come from the Taylorsville 30th Ward cookbook from 1991.  I think only Mom and I have this cookbook, so I thought it would be helpful to post here.  These are so fast to make, that they're an easy side dish to lots of meals!  I just made them yesterday for a visiting teaching lunch!

1 1/2 cups water (warm)
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
approx. 3-5 cups flour (until not sticky)
1 stick butter or margarine, melted

Mix above ingredients except butter and raise about 10 minutes (I put it in a clean, greased bowl covered with saran wrap to let rise in a warm place).  Roll out, sprinkle with flour, and place in cookie sheet with 2/3 of melted butter in bottom.  Cut dough in half and then in pieces along sides.  Let rise until double in size, 10 minutes or so.  Put rest of melted butter on top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.  Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of yeast is it? Instant? Active Dry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never use instant yeast, so I'll say active dry. At least, that's what I always use.

    ReplyDelete