Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tzatziki Sauce (for Sausage Pitas)


This recipe comes from my friend Tiffany Giles.  I'm sure she found it on the internet somewhere, but I don't have an original source.  Dave and I love to make these sausage pitas just like Tiffany did for us one summer when we were watching So You Think You Can Dance and having dinners together.  Oh, good times.  We had great friends in Illinois!  I make the tzatziki earlier in the day, and then it's really easy to put together at dinnertime.  It's a quick, tasty, healthy meal that is perfect for warmer weather (which we are not experiencing--it's supposed to snow here in the next few days).

Tzatziki Sauce

1 (16 oz) container low-fat plain yogurt  (or non-fat greek yogurt and ignore step one--which is what I do)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded & grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh, chopped parsley (I usually use dried)
1 Tbsp fresh, chopped mint (I don't use unless I feel like buying mint)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (I use my lemon juice from the fridge)
salt & pepper to taste

1.  Line a colander w/ 2 layers of cheesecloth & place it over a medium bowl.  Place the yogurt on the cheesecloth & cover the colander with plastic wrap.  Allow yogurt to drain overnight.
2.  Lay grated cucumber on a plate lined w/ paper towel; allow to drain 1-2 hours
3.  Combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, parsley, mint, lemon juice, S & P in a bowl.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.


Sausage Pitas  (probably don't require a recipe, but, here you go):
  • pocket pitas, or the "Greek" pitas like you see here--like you would eat with a gyro
  • 1 package summer sausage, polska kielbasa or turkey sausage (the stuff shaped like a horseshoe in the package), sliced and sauteed in pan until warm and caramelized
  • lettuce
  • tomatoes
  • onion
  • tzatziki sauce
Put everything in the pita and eat.  YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment