Sunday, April 7, 2013

Beef Stew


I made Mom's beef stew for dinner tonight, so I thought I'd post the recipe.  Of course, having the oven on all day in the spring made my house a nice 75 degrees, so we made sure to keep the windows open.  By the time dinner was ready it was cool enough outside that we didn't feel weird about eating stew in April!


Beef Stew

2 lbs stew meat
2 onions, chopped
frozen peas (aka, as many as you want)
1 can tomato soup
1/2 can water
1/4 cup pickle juice
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut up
1 tsp salt

Mix everything but the peas together and bake at 275 for 5 hours.  Add the peas in the last half hour of baking.

**I almost always double the amount of soup, water and pickle juice.  Usually because I end up with pretty large potatoes and use more carrots and potatoes than the recipe calls for.  I like it a little soupier the first night, because the second night it's nice and thick and even more "stewy"

**Obviously there are no peas in my picture, I didn't have any, so I threw corn in instead.  It was still yummy.

1 comment: