Sunday, March 23, 2014

Quick, Post-Baby Meals

I have a lot of friends (and sisters) who are either getting ready to have a baby, or have just had one. Cooking becomes a whole new ball game with your first kid in the house.  I think everyone finds their own rhythm post-baby, but I have found that:
  1. I don't have freezer space for freezer meals
  2. I don't like most meals once they've been frozen and cooked, I like "fresh."
  3. It's too hard for me to remember to pull something out of the freezer earlier in the day so I can bake it later.
My solution is to have an arsenal of quick meals that I know I can throw together quickly with a screaming newborn, or start earlier in the day when the babies are napping.  Honestly, for the first 8 weeks of the baby's life I stick with the 30-minute type meals, and then get more adventurous.  And, sometimes we consider hot dogs a "homemade" meal.  It's not until my kids are 6-9 mos old that making dinner becomes "easy" again.  Until then I'm timing dinner around little ones whose unhappy time is always when you're trying to make dinner at 5pm.

The other thing you have to consider is that I enjoy cooking.  I like planning meals and going grocery shopping.  I like standing in front of my pantry and open fridge and freezer and thinking of meals that I can make with what I see.  I know that is not every one.  Hopefully this list is helpful to you.  I'll write another post with a list of ingredients that I always like to  keep in the pantry that make meal-planning easier (for me).

I also always keep pre-cooked ground beef in my freezer. That recipe is here on the blog, too (Ground Beef Mix).  That saves me a lot of time, and if all else fails we eat tacos...again.  My husband never complains.  He loves tacos!  You can also do pre-cooked chicken for the freezer.  I haven't done it myself because I just use frozen chicken breasts and cook them earlier in the day when the kids are napping if I need to.  But, I can post that recipe on the blog, too.

Most of these recipes are already on this blog, and if they aren't I will be adding them shortly.  I have tried to categorize these meals based on the amount of time it takes to prepare them. But within each category they are in no particular order. Enjoy!

WHITNEY'S POST-BABY MEALS LIST

30-Minute Meals
Sausage Pitas
BLTs (Yes, you need a recipe--you have to cook the bacon the "Sonic" way!)
Mexican Chicken and Rice
Sloppy Joes
Beef Stroganoff
Tacos
Broccoli Soup
Turkey Goulasch
Sesame Chicken
Fajitas (if you don't count marinating the chicken)
Easy Baked Tilapia
Greek Shrimp Scampi
Fish Tacos (I have 2 kinds posted on the blog)
Thai Peanut Noodles
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Chicken Salad
Shells and Veggies

Long(er) Baking Time, Short Prep
Chicken & Wild Rice (Mrs. Pardee Chicken)
Chicken and Mushy Rice
Beef Stew

Prep Earlier in the Day, then put in oven at dinner time (or simmer long periods of time)
Chicken Delight
Lasagna
Chile Colorado Burritos
White Chicken Chili
Honey Lime Enchiladas (these could be 30-minute, too, if you prep the chicken earlier in the day)

Crock Pot
Lasagna
Ranch Pork Chops
Chicken Fettucini
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Chicken Tikka Masala
Black Beans & Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment