Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Brownie Pudding

I was trolling my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook on Monday, and came across this recipe. I thought I'd try it for our FHE treat, and it didn't disappoint! I baked it while we were eating dinner, pulled it out right as we finished, and then it cooled while we had FHE.  Perfect timing!

It is labeled as a "Best Loved" recipe, and now I know why! I would describe it as a molten lava cake-brownie. Not really a pudding at all like the name says. You end up with a warm chocolate sauce underneath the brownie.  Sehr lecker!!  To quote the cookbook: "This classic cake comes from the pages of the January 1944 issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine."



BROWNIE PUDDING
Prep: 15 min  Bake: 40 min Oven: 350 Cool: 45 min  Makes: 6-8 servings

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water
vanilla ice cream (not really optional)  ;)

1.  Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside.  In a medium bowl stir together the flour, granulated sugar, the 2 tbsp cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt.  Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla.  Stir in the walnuts.

2.  Pour batter into prepared baking pan.  In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar and the 1/4 cup cocoa powder; stir in the boiling water.  Slowly pour water mixture over batter.

3.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.  cool on a wire rack for 45 to 60 minutes.  Serve warm.  Spoon cake into dessert bowls; spoon sauce over cake.  If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. we call this pudding cake at our house and I get the whole pan to myself because no one likes it. I always threaten everyone that I'm going to make pudding cake for FHE if they don't do this or dont stop doing that, etc. It's my ultimate sinful treat! I use the recipe from hershey, though.

    ReplyDelete